BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Surgery!!

**ENJOY! I am on lortab and toradol for the pain and it makes me a little loopy. Sorry if it doesn't make much sense. I will revise later when I can think more clearly**

For those of you who don't know, I was in need of surgery on both of my hips because of my congenital condition and how they were shaped. The head of my femur sat a little too deep in the socket due to extra bone hanging out from the edge and it was rubbing on an area of my femur between the head and the neck that had a little extra bump on it. So with all this extra bone, they were rubbing together and making my labrum (medicine.net quotes "the labrum is a ring of fibrocartilage (fibrous cartilage) around the edge of the articular (joint) surface of a bone.") causing it to inflame and degenerate. Not very fun at all if you ask me! Having this has changed how I do a lot of things. The pain onset the summer of my senior year and being a competitive swimmer, it made things very difficult to overcome. I was in pain constantly and ended up doing 5 months of physical therapy, had multiple x-rays, did acupuncture (actually was pretty neat), took all sorts of calming medications (such as cortisone pills), all during swim season. I finally got an MRI in November of 2011 and none of the doctors here could see anything majorly wrong. My uncle recommended us to a doctor so we called and met with Dr. Dan Richards of Granger Medical in SLC in June of 2012. He is a DO and specializes in hips, so he was perfect for me. We met with him and they looked very hard at my MRI and told me that I needed to get shots in both hips of numbing medication to see how they felt. If the pain went away then that meant I needed surgery, which was the undesired route of healing. I ended up getting the shot in October 2012 and was able to ride a bike for the first time in 3 years, due to the pain before, and I felt so good on there. No PAIN! I went running, which lately I could only run .5 miles (pathetic I know) and there was no pain. We waited a few more months and went to go see Dr. Richards again in December. We discussed many things and it all boiled down to me needing surgery. :/ We decided to schedule the surgery on March 8th 2013. It was a friday and the beginning of spring break so I could relax for a week before returning back to school and work. I ended up getting a call from Dr. Richards office and talked to his nurse assistant saying that my surgery date needed to change because Dr. Richards had a meeting he could not pass up, so I rescheduled my surgery for Thursday, March 7th 2013. And soon the day arrived...

0 comments: